One of the most trusted, experienced, talented, innovative, and knowledgeable Engineering Services companies in the country.
UES PRESIDENT Matt Michel
In 1991, Frank Monteiro had a vision: to create a design engineering firm that is an expert in mobile equipment system design while being nimble and responsive to all customer requests.
In 2014, Matthew Michel took the reins as 2nd generation owner that clearly understands the necessity of delivering value for customers’ businesses.
Matt cut his teeth in a large corporate environment, one where there was a clear segregation of responsibilities. Projects were often delayed due to a lack of expertise or a lack of clear accountability, resulting in a “no one at fault” mentality.
Matt is adamantly determined to change the landscape of design services through a flexible, easy-to-engage process and hiring only those engineers, designers, drafters, and analysts that understand the need to deliver value for their customers.
Through the stellar reputation that UES possesses via excellence in project execution, UES has become a high demand firm in a crowded market place.
- Capital Program manager at 3M Company, managing $25MM+ projects
- 20 years of hands-on experience in Industry composing of:
- R&D equipment design and IP assessment
- Process and Manufacturing engineering support
- Lean Six Sigma trained
- Structural Design Methodology
- Fatigue assessment studies and in-depth studies into linear elastic fracture mechanics
- Mechatronic design, applying adaptive controls to electromechanical or electrohydraulic systems
- Highly successful in solving critical to quality issues on products under high pressure circumstances
- Experience includes major projects for Oil Drilling Exploration and Production, entire Crane System design, and Farm Machinery equipment manufacturing companies
- BSME Summa Cum Laude, University of St. Thomas, MN
- Concentration in Mechatronics and systems design
- Licensed Professional Engineer in MN and Wisconsin in Mechanical Design
- Former Chief Engineer at American Hoist and Derrick
- Program Manager at Honeywell
- 51 Years of design, analysis and management experience with all aspects of mobile equipment design
- Extensive experience in design and upgrading of new and existing products from initial conceptual stage through final design, prototype build, testing, debugging and final production
- Chairman ISO Subcommittee
- Member of API-2C and SAE specification writing committees
- Registered Professional Engineer with a Masters Degree in Structural Engineering from the University of MN
Design Engineer/FEA Analyst
- 25 Years of Hands On Design Engineering and Finite Element Experience in Agriculture, Mining, Transportation, Defense, Aerial Lift and Consulting Engineering industries
- Primary Experience with Machinery Support structures, Weapon Systems, Lattice Crane designs, precision Mechanical Parts, Suspension systems, Heavy Mobile Equipment Structures, and entire system designs
- 5 years with Universal Engineering Services
- Has done extensive Cyclic, Harmonic, and Modal analyses for production equipment and Defense Vehicles as well as advanced analyses such as transient shock and seismic conditions. Thesis on hyperelastic strain behaviors
- Experienced Analyst in the following codes: NASTRAN/PATRAN, Hypermesh/Hyperworks, ANSYS, ABAQUS, I-DEAS
- Experience Includes 10 Years of FEA at BAE Systems with armament, weapon, and missile design
- Has Done In-depth Work on Non - Linear FEA methods
- Holds a Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Minnesota
Mechanical/Structural Engineer FEA Analyst
- 40 Years of Hands-on Design Experience With Cranes (Lattice Boom, Gantry, Box Boom), Boom Trucks, Telebelt Trucks, Track Drills, Excavators, Scissors Lifts and Log Loaders
- 27 years with Universal Engineering Services
- Experience Includes Major Design Projects at Amhoist, Link Belt, Manitowoc and Universal Engineering Services.
- Experience in the Area of Mechanical/Structural Systems Design. Well Versed With Finite Element Analysis and continuous ANSYS usage since 1991
- Versatile Engineer With 40+ Years of Farm Equipment Maintenance Experience.
- Works on All Aspects of Mobile Equipment Design including full machines
- Holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering from NDSU
Senior Mechanical Engineer
- 37 Years of Hands-On Experience with Design of Major Components of Cranes (Gantry, Lattice Boom, and Box Boom), Conveyors, Log Loaders and Tractors, Mobile Drilling Rigs, Fire Trucks, Wall Saws, Forklifts, Telehandler, Scissors Lifts, Locomotive Discharge Hoppers, etc.
- 23 years with Universal Engineering Services
- Experience Includes Undertaking Major Design Projects at UES, EPG Companies, Inc. and Overseas Construction Equipment Manufacturing
- Has designed Gantry Cranes for PaR Systems
- Experience in the Areas of Mechanical and Structural Systems Design
- Versatile Engineer Who Can Work on All Aspects of Mobile Equipment Design, including complete machines
- Holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering
FEA Analyst and Senior Mechanical Engineer
- 35 Years Experience in Aviation Maintenance, Agricultural Equipment, Cranes (Lattice Boom, Gantry, Box Boom), Concrete Telebelt Trucks, and Genset Installations Covering Structural, Mechanical, Electrical, and Hydraulic Systems
- 20 years with Universal Engineering Services
- Experience Includes Four Years in Rough Terrain Forklift at Lull Industries Covering the Following: Structural, Hydraulic System and Electrical System Design
- Work includes Gantry Crane design for PaR Systems
- Excellent understanding of Aerospace systems and aluminum composite constructions, and has undertaken full machine designs
- Excellent proficiency with ANSYS, HyperWorks, ABAQUS and Pro Mechanica for FEA
- MS Degree in Mechanical Engineering from University of MN
Design Engineer/FEA Analyst
- 27 Years of Hands On Design Engineering and Finite Element Experience in Aviation Defense industries
- Primary Experience with Gun Mount Systems, Rocket propellant substructures, Avionics, precision fabricated systems, Heavy Mobile Equipment Structures, and entire system designs
- Has done analysis on crankshafts for engines/compressor systems consisting of modal, transient dynamic, and PSD studies
- Has done extensive Cyclic, Harmonic, Modal, Seismic, Shock Loading, Mach 6+, and highly advanced analyses for production equipment and Defense Vehicles. Has also applied analyses to transportation applications including transient, nonlinear responses
- Experience Includes Major FEA Studies at Boeing and Aerojet Rocketdyne with rocket propellant systems
- Holds a PhD in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Wisconsin with some post-Doctoral work